IMPACT WARMING STATION
Impact Temple Church is opening its doors to our neighbors experiencing homeless during the cold weather season.
For the third year in a row, Impact will serve as one of our city’s two warming stations, providing a place where guests can come, receive a warm dinner, enjoy a shower, and sleep safely on particularly cold nights. But in order to extend this hospitality to our neighbors, we need the help of our community.
The Warming Station will open any night that the forecast predicts a drop in the felt temperature (with wind-chill factor) of 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 35 degrees when wet. The shelter will open at 6 pm to 8 am.
Last year, Winter Storm Uri hit Central Texas with record-breaking cold and ice. Power grids all over Texas, including Temple, were knocked out for days. With the support of our community Impact was able to open up our warming shelter 24-hours a day for twelve days straight. Our community–which includes church members currently living in homelessness–were able to care for others who were displaced by the storm, and for several days we hosted nearly 70 people. We were also able to work with other organizations and the City of Temple to mobilize the opening of additional warming stations when needed.
We cannot know what this winter will bring, and there’s no reason to suspect that an event like Winter Storm Uri cannot happen this year. So we are working to be well-prepared. Please consider ways in which you can partner with Impact Temple Church. Community teamwork through financial donations, supplies, and volunteers will enable us to serve not only our friends experiencing homelessness, but the entire community.
How You Can Help
Supplies and Volunteers Needed!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on volunteering.
- Staffing – Each night the shelter is open requires the work of at least twelve volunteers, three per four-hour shift. Staffers ensure that everyone is able to enjoy a safe and comfortable stay. Click the link above to register as a volunteer and let us know which shifts you are available and willing to work.
- 6 pm to 10 pm – Includes intake, dinner, and showers.
- 10pm to 2 am
- 2 am to 6 am
- 6 am to 10 am – Includes breakfast and cleanup.
- Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Provide Dinner
- Provide Breakfast
- Help with cleaning and organizing during the day
- Help with laundry during the day
NOTE: There are a lot of great opportunities for volunteer groups to come and serve, beyond overnight staffing. If a group is looking for a service project, let us know!
- Donate funds for supplies that we can purchase wholesale or in bulk.
- Donate goods and supplies that will be used in the shelter and distributed to our guests. We currently need
- Sleeping Bags (Click for Sleeping Bag information)
- Coats, Jackets, Sweaters
- Socks, Hats, and Gloves
- Toiletries, such as toothbrushes, deodorant, disposable razors, etc.
- Soap and shampoo (preferably travel sizes)
- Flip-flop sandals for showers
For general questions about the shelter, contact Deni Howard at email@example.com.